Since this post has so many photos and sounds, I decided to have a separate sources list. I've shortened the sounds considerably in Audacity®, and cropped, edited, and lowered the resolution of the photos quite a bit in PhotoShop®. PLEASE download the original sounds and photos if you want to use them.
All the sounds were downloaded from Xeno-canto, and all the photos from Wikimedia Commons, except for the Great Horned Owl photo, which is mine. If you prefer to download a PDF of these sources, click here. If you'd like the original of my portrait of Katori, a very good-looking young Great Horned Owl, click here to download it.
Locating The Original Sounds
To find the originals of the sounds, copy just the numerals of the catalog number (without the XC prefix) from this list, go to Xeno-canto.org , click to open Advanced Search, type nr: and (paste) the catalog number (no space after nr:) into the top Search box. Be sure you are on the Advanced Search page. The prefixes won't work in the regular Search box.
Sounds used in this post:
- American Robin (Turdus migratorius) by Ted Floyd 2017 (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) Colorado (near Lafayette), Boulder County, Colorado, USA. Cat.# XC364638.
- Canyon Wren (Catherpes mexicanus) by Anthony Gliozzo 2016 (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) Mount Baldy, San Bernardino County, California, USA. Cat.# XC322511.
- Common Loon (Gavia immer) by Lance A. M. Benner 2015 (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) West Mount Vernon, Kennebec County, Maine, USA. Cat.# XC240521.
- Emu (Dromaius novaehollandiae) by Marc Anderson 2013 (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) Helensburgh, NSW, Australia. Cat# XC132935.
- European Green Woodpecker (Picus viridis karelini) by Albert Lastukhin 2019 (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) Lerik, Ardabil Province, Azerbaijan. Cat.# XC480296.
- Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus) by Bernabe Lopez-Lanus (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) Reserva El Bagual, Formosa, Argentina. Cat.# XC48734.
- Hamerkop (Scopus umbretta) by Allen T. Chartier 1995 (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) Abuko Nature Reserve, Gambia. Cat.# XC18014.
Locating The Original Photos
To find the originals of any of the photos (except the owl), copy just the name of the photo (ends with .jpg) from this list, go to Wikimedia Commons, and paste the photo name into the Search box there. There's a link to WikiMedia Commons at the bottom of Free Stuff in the sidebar.
Photos used in this post:
- International. My own work; photographed in my house in Saint George, Utah, USA. Blue spruce background is TexturesCom_SilverSpruceReference_M.png downloaded from textures.com. Download link in the first paragraph.
- Canyon Wren (14088177678).jpg by Mike's Birds 2014 (CC BY-SA 2.0) Canyon Wren photographed in Sweeney Granite Mountains Desert Research Center, Riverside, CA, USA. Via Wikimedia Commons.
- E m u a u s t r a l s k y . j p g by Dezidor 2007 (CC BY 3.0) Via Wikimedia Commons. (Note: Should be ' over the y. Search for E m u a u s t r a l s k to locate the file.)
- Gavia_immer4_BS.jpg by Cephas 2009 (CC BY-SA 3.0) Common Loon, photographed in Blue Sea Lake, Quebec, Canada. Via Wikimedia Commons.
- Hammerkopf2.jpg by Sebastian Ritter 2005 (CC BY-SA 2.5) Scopus umbretta. Via Wikimedia Commons.
- RO_B_Carol_Park_green_woodpecker.jpg by Andrei Stroe 2010 (CC BY-SA 3.0) European Green Woodpecker photographed in Carol Park, Bucharest, Romania. Via Wikimedia Commons.
- Turdus_migratorius_4494.jpg by Dori 2008 (CC BY-SA 3.0) An american robin (Turdus migratorius), taken in Urbana, IL, USA. Via Wikimedia Commons.